The club went through major development in 2019, enlarging and improving the clubhouse kitchen, bar and toilets. We also added 2 new timber cabins as new changing rooms and a pentaque piste.
In 2023 a new youth coaching programme has been intoduced, this takes place on Friday evenings 6.00 pm to 7.00pm.
Contact club secretary for details.
The story so far……
The 3 Counties Hospital opened in 1857 and over the years provided many sports facilities, such as football, tennis, cricket and bowls for both staff and patients. The first 3 rink bowls green was situated in front of the west wing in 1920, in 1954 it was moved to its present site and a timber pavilion was built in the south-west conner. In 1956 and for the first-time outsiders where allowed to join and use the facilities. During this period the club was called the 3 Counties Bowls Club with the hospital providing a complete catering service at no charge to the club, at some point the catering facilities were withdrawn.
About 1962 the hospital changed its name from the 3 Counties Asylum to Fairfield Hospital and moved the pavilion across to the western flank, its current site, with the club being called Fairfield Bowls Club. The crest was altered from a quartered design to a shield showing the Swan, Snake and a Deer. When the hospital closed in 1999 football and tennis were discontinued but cricket and bowls were allowed to continue. The bowls club were very successful in the East Bedfordshire leagues winning awards in the cups and league competitions. The hospital closed its doors in 1999 and work commenced on converting the hospital into apartments and the grounds into period housing. Membership of the bowls club suffered during this period and at one point its future was in doubt, but as the apartments and houses filled with occupants the membership began to grow. The developers as part of the 106 Agreement constructed a new pavilion.
In 2018 the club started an expansion programme: modernising the kitchen and bar and installing 2 wooden cabins as changing rooms. Today we have a growing membership of lady and gentlemen bowlers. A Petanque (boules) piste has been installed and is in use every Sunday morning. The club celebrates Burn’s Night, has quiz and race-nights and holds an annual dinner in honour of St. George, new members are always welcome as both social and playing.
Kingsley Avenue, Fairfield, Hitchin, SG5 4FY, United Kingdom
Approaching from A507 Stotfold follow Hitchin Road turn right into Kingsley Avenue. If approaching from Letchworth follow Stotfold Road onto Hitchin Road and turn left into Kingsley Avenue. To access carpark use gate keypad and enter 400, if no response dial 401 or 402.
Registration Number: 01014
Bedfordshire Bowling Association
Community Amateur Sports Club Registration Number 061000033008